Trimester 3 Portfolio – HMSAdam **Enjoy It**

Hey everyone! This is my final post of 7th grade. I really enjoyed writing these posts and can’t wait to do it next year! This will be my Trimester 3 Portfolio so enjoy!

Our Language Arts teacher assigned us a debate essay where we were to pick a debatable topic and state our reasoning on one side based on facts and statistics. The minimum word count was 500 and I exceeded that completely so enjoy!

Should we invest more time and money into space research?

We are already investing lots of time and money into space research but should we completely dedicate our time into it? Yes! We know so much about the Earth and so little about space, the galaxy, and the universe. We live in a world of discovery and innovation. We must use our curiosity and turn it into something that can let the human race thrive better than ever. Space will one day become our last option for survival so investing more time and money this early is crucial for the next hundreds of generation’s survival.

One day the Earth will become unsafe for us to live on and we’re going to have to abandon it. That’s why we have to do all we can right now to prevent the destruction of the human race. Our current generation won’t be affected by all of the problems our world’s going to have to face but if we care about the next thousands of generations, we have to do something now. Finding similar planets to Earth or places sustainable for creating civilizations is all we need to do to help the next hundreds of generations. We sent humans to the Moon but compared to Mars that’s nothing. Mars is 34 million miles away and going to Mars might be the next big step into our future. Creating colonies on Mars sustainable for humans to live on is enough.

Now space has clues to the creation of Earth. We made very good guesses on where we came from but we aren’t 100% sure yet. Exploring space can lead us to a better idea and maybe a final answer on where we came from. We just recently got a picture of the black hole which for the longest time was just a theory but with lots of hard work and determination, we were able to prove the existence of the black hole. For the next few centuries, we can probably create lots of different sustainable lifestyles in space. NASA’s Kepler Space Telescope was able to discover many different planets and even one very similar to Earth. That’s exactly the kind of start we need right now so that in the near future we can maybe travel there. People say the sun will either die out and lose all of its heat or burn up so much to the point where it blows up. We’re not sure yet but with research, we can find out.

We live in a world where so much of our money is getting wasted on such useless things like nukes and weapons. Rather than trying to fight we should all work together to explore more. I don’t know if it’s just me but I always wonder what’s up there in space and I’m pretty sure you do too. Humans thrive on curiosity and imagination. All of the nations can be little puzzle pieces but space will conjoin all of us to find our true meaning in life so we can thrive like never before.

Now I understand that some of you think that we already invest so much time and money into space and that we need to focus more on the Earth and what’s here. Us humans have lived on Earth for so long and we’ll discover something amazing but it’ll all lead to space. The center of the Earth, the depths of the oceans, and so many more wonders on earth are all things we can get a better understanding of in space. What good will exploring the oceans do for us humans? We can’t live down there with that much pressure. Yes we do need to take care of our Earth right now but sooner or later it’ll get out of hand and our world will soon be uncontrollable to take care of. With global warming, more droughts, more heatwaves, and the increase in natural disasters our world can be destroyed before we know it. That’s why space is our last option.

Our future can be whatever we want it to be and I know for a fact that we all want it to be the best we can. If we can work together to solve problems of the universe and to let the human race continue to thrive we will go down in history as the beginning of a brand new generation of innovation, discovery, and curiosity. “Space: The final frontier” – Star Trek

Dunbar, Brian. “Moon to Mars Overview.” NASA, NASA, 29 June 2018, www.nasa.gov/topics/moon-to-mars/overview.

Howell, Elizabeth. “The 6 Most Earth-like Alien Planets.” Space.com, Space Created with Sketch. Space, 6 Aug. 2015, www.space.com/30172-six-most-earth-like-alien-planets.html.

Wiles, Jennifer. “Why We Explore.” NASA, NASA, 13 June 2013, www.nasa.gov/exploration/whyweexplore/why_we_explore_main.html#.XM-Koo5Kg1I.

See the source image

via bing all creative commons

In math class, we had to create a slideshow on Geometric Translations. Click the link to go view it!

In social studies, we had to find facts of where the Polynesians came from. Heyerdahl thought they came from South America and Buck thought they came from Asia so we gathered evidence on both sides to see who’s right. Here’s the link.

In Language Arts, we also had to write a short story or poem on animals and the bond between them and humans.

CONNECTION

Peeking out of my little box on the side of the street

What do I see?

A woman and her son looking at me

The boy approaches me eager and excited

Little do I know we’ve been united

He takes me to his home

He gives me a bath

We go to sleep

I think to myself

Is he mine to keep?

I wake up the next day in his comfy bed

Waiting for the boy to scratch my head

I wait and wait for minutes straight

The feeling of abandonedness goes through my head

I hear the door open and footsteps going through the house

I see the boy happily running towards me

In his hand, a bowl, and a bag of food

That completely changed my mood

I run towards him with excitement

He runs towards me with excitement

And at that moment I felt a connection

One that will never create rejection

He opens the bag

Pours some food

Puts me in the happiest mood

A few days later

I’m sitting on my window sill

Happily waiting for my owner to come home

I see him running out of the car with a bag in his hand

He opens the bag and I see a blue monster

I chew and chew happily

He takes my toy

Throws it across the room

I bring it back

We do it over and over again

We’re having the best time ever

A feeling that will last forever

We sit on the couch

Happily Cuddling

I felt love going through my body

Years later I wake up

We go in the car

I walk in a building with my family

Feeling a lot of animal hospitality

I sit on a table

A woman approaches me

Examines my body

Talks to my family

I see them very concerned

My best friend hugs me

I wake up in a bed

Not my bed

I see all these weird machines around me

I feel weak and tired

A woman comes in with my family

My best friend comes running towards me

Hugs me

He brings the blue monster that created our bond years ago

Lays it next to me and says, “Here you go.”

I turn my head towards the monster

I knew something wasn’t right

But this bond that we have made me feel alright

I close my eyes

He gives me a big hug then walks away

I close my eyes as my mind fades away.

THE END

Thank you!

HMSAdam